Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ice, Ice-breaker: The Clothing Every Traveler Should Have

Marie Edwards, owner of Southern Treks, and I modeling our Icebreaker shirts while hiking the Coast to Coast Trail in England (2008).

Icebreaker offers a wide range of clothing made from fine merino wool. Icebreaker is the perfect garment for travel. It is fast-drying, temperature regulating and does not hold odor like most synthetics do (so you don't have to wash them after each wear). Plus, many pieces are stylish enough to be worn as regular, everyday clothing.

Keeps you cool when it's warm and warm when it's cool!
I have worn the Tech T Lite (140 weight) in August in Georgia - yep, you read that correctly. I have donned wool in the hottest and most humid month in the South. I also always layer several long-sleeve pieces to ski (and have yet to be cold or too hot), hike (in all kinds of weather) and lounge around the house. In fact, I am currently wearing Icebreaker pants (discontinued unfortunately) and a new Icebreaker 260-weight Long-sleeve Crewe I received as a Christmas gift.

Avoid Sticker Shock (plus tips on Clothing Care)
You may find the products to be a little pricey (the Tech-T Lite is around $55), but I can assure you they are worth it. Just make sure that you take of them properly and they should last a long time. Icebreaker articles can be washed in the washer. I wash mine on the cold cycle, usually on delicate - although I don't think this is necessary - and let them air dry. Occasionally, a piece or two has found its way into the dryer but ultimately survived in tact.

My Testimony
I found out about Icebreaker five years ago while living in New Zealand. I arrived unprepared for a hiking trip and the guide suggested I buy Icebreaker long underwear. Since that faithful purchase, I have never been too cold or too hot while wearing my long johns - and this is coming from a girl who used to shiver at the mention of snow! After several weeks of hiking success and a 21-day Outward Bound course, I purchased a bit more to get me through the ski season and then a few more pieces before leaving the country. Although my Icebreaker wardrobe has expanded a good bit, I still have and wear most of the original pieces - many have survived three seasons of working on the slopes in addition to other multi-adventurous uses. Icebreaker is currently available at Changes In Latitude Travel Store and other outdoor retailers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post Reagen! Glad you like the product. You can follow us on www.facebook.com/icebreakernz or www.twitter.com/icebreakernz. Come back to New Zealand! Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While people may have different views still good things should always be appreciated. Yours is a nice blog. Liked it!!!. For more information about the budget hotel please Click Here.

    ReplyDelete